We have many customers who enquire with Lotus Roofing about why and how Polycarbonate is the most preferred Roofing Structure.
Let me explain the features of Polycarbonate and why it is preferred in many applications.
What is Polycarbonate?
Polycarbonate is a naturally transparent amorphous thermoplastic. Its durability and ability to transmit light almost as effectively as glass makes it the preferred roofing sheet. It is a high-impact, strong material and is often being used in decks, patios, garages including skywalks as this allows transparency of light. Its ability to withstand impacts is far greater than many other commonly used plastics. Its lightweight property makes it easier to install.
Features of Polycarbonate
- Polycarbonate is known for its strength and is considered a resilient thermoplastic material. It has the capability to withstand extreme temperatures both hot and cold.
- This quality in Polycarbonate makes it safer to use in building construction and household items, unlike glass.
- Polycarbonates are tough, stiff and strong engineering thermoplastics that can be exposed to temperatures for several hours (around 270 degrees) or sudden bursts of heat up to 1166 degrees without distortion, breakage, or absorption of heat.
- They can maintain rigidity up to 140°C and toughness down to -20°C or special grades even lower.
- Polycarbonate is considered less toxic than many other plastics.
We are suppliers of Green Environment products and we use no scare timber-based raw materials for manufacturing Lotus roofing sheets at our factory at Pondicherry.
Benefits of Using Polycarbonate Roofing
- Lotus Polycarbonate sheet is better at retaining heat, making it a much more thermally efficient solution, Hence, this helps to keep the structure cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
- It also has the ability to reflect away harmful UV radiations, protecting plants and extending their life span.
- Hence when used for Building construction purposes, it can drastically lower the energy cost by reducing the .
- Because of its transparent feature, Lotus Polycarbonate sheets can be used in all the applications where glass is normally used e.g. Covering skylights, glazing security lights etc.
- Its property of being a lighter alternative to glass makes it an incredibly useful material requiring transparency. Polycarbonate insulates better than glass and also has a natural UV filter.
- Lotus Polycarbonate Roofing sheets have very good dimensional stability and is the most widely used engineering thermoplastics.
- Polycarbonate is particularly useful when impact resistance is needed and hence best suited for bullet-proof glass.
- Their transparent feature makes it a commonly used material for lenses in eyewear, in medical devices, protective gear, Digital disks, and automotive components including exterior lighting fixtures.
- Polycarbonate is less rigid and available in a variety of flexible grades such as flame retardant, crack resistant and as a film.
We suggest 10mm thick Lotus Multiwall Polycarbonate sheet, as they have better insulation, impact, and tensile strength properties.
There are many advantages to using Polycarbonate roofing over the glass. Am sure you would be interested in knowing them.
Let me give you a few major advantages and also highlight why it is less advantageous.
Advantages of Using Polycarbonate Roofing
Polycarbonate sheets have high impact resistance which is 200 times better than glass. This property makes Lotus Multiwall Sheets highly durable and lasts longer.
Compact Polycarbonate panels/ sheets are virtually unbreakable and can withstand a large amount of force.
Protection against UV Rays
They can block up to 100% of harmful UV rays while allowing 90% all-natural light to come through when compared to glass which can block only up to 25% of UV rays and has less protection from the sun.
Installation made Easy
Additionally, Polycarbonate sheets are extremely light in weight. This makes the Installation process easier. Moreover, transportation costs are also cheaper.
Fire Retardant and Resistant
Apart from preventing UV rays from coming through, our range of Lotus Polycarbonate sheets are used in Industrial and Residential purpose as they have high fire resistance
Longer Life Span
While glass tends to break easily and needs frequent replacement, Polycarbonate Sheets have high impact resistance. It can withstand heat minimizing and cutting down the cost of replacement. Hence during building construction for Greenhouses, Schools, and Hospitals where there are more windows, maintenance becomes easy.
Lotus Polycarbonate Roofing sheets are perfect for Greenhouses and Conservatories as they help diffuse light more evenly than glass. Polycarbonate protects from excessive sunlight as it naturally offers UV protection to the eyes.
Their high impact strength makes them the best choice for roofs of buildings.
As Polycarbonate is a high-performing thermoplastic, it is widely used in the construction of skylights, wall panels & roof domes.
Polycarbonate is commonly used in lighting applications as a replacement for glass and lenses as they protect from UV light.
Lotus Multiwall sheets are suitable for both indoors and outdoors. They can be customized according to the needs of the structure.
Lotus Roofings manufactures aesthetically pleasing polycarbonate roofing sheets that are suitable for swimming pools.
There are also a few Downsides (disadvantages) while using Polycarbonate roofing sheets.
- Polycarbonate sheets are non-resistant to scratches.
- Due to heavy rains or wind, if a branch happens to fall on a patio made out of polycarbonate sheets, they may get scratched. This issue can be solved by polishing the polycarbonate sheet.
- They are highly vulnerable to surface damage and dents.
- They are slightly more expensive than other roofing sheets.
Insulation – How to Install Lotus Polycarbonate Roofing Sheets?
Many of our customers also enquire a lot and have many question about the Installation of Lotus Roofing sheets.
Let me tell you that the Installation process is extremely easy and requires very less time and effort.
You can go through our step by step Installation guidelines through a demo video that helps you in understanding the simplicity involved in installing the roofing solution here:
Lotus Roofings are also suppliers of Self-drilling screws that make it very easy.
To sum up, Polycarbonate sheet is an exceptional roofing choice for Residential and commercial purposes. Lotus Roofings offers a wide range of colors to choose from. While Diffused Polycarbonate sheets are best suited for all exteriors because they transmit light easily, Lotus Translucent Polycarbonate sheets are best suited for specific residential projects as their light transmission rage varies from color to color each unique in its own way.
If you find this article useful and planning to replace your existing roof to polycarbonate roofing sheets, please leave a message and our Experts will reach out to you and guide you with the most suitable options.
If you like this article, you make like and share this with those who are planning to replace their roofs.